With Children’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol only days away, be sure you’re registered to join hundreds of advocates and youth from across Kentucky in Frankfort on January 23rd. Kentucky kids need advocates like you to speak up on their behalf on Children’s Advocacy Day and throughout the 2020 Kentucky legislative session.
As you prepare for Children’s Advocacy Day, check these to-do items off the list:
- Register for Children’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol so you don’t miss any reminder emails.
- Watch the prep webinar to learn how to make the most of attending Children’s Advocacy Day and advocating on behalf of children during the 2020 General Assembly.
- If you are planning to bring a group of youth (high school age or younger) to Children’s Advocacy Day, please fill out this registration questionnaire.
- Find out who represents you in Frankfort and how to contact them.
- Be sure to set up a meeting with your legislators now for Children’s Advocacy Day. Find tips for setting up, during, and after meetings.
- Learn more about the 2020 Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children priorities and advocate for them throughout the legislative session.
- Check out the Kentucky General Assembly Bill Tracker to stay up-to-date on Blueprint legislative priorities and other bills that are good for kids.
- Sign up to receive action alerts and reminders for Children’s Advocacy Day via email and via text by texting CADKY2020 to 555-888.
- Review the schedule for the 2020 Children’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol below.
9:00 AM Material pick-up begins on the Capitol Mezzanine
- Pick up materials for the day, including folders, schedules, lanyards, and other resources here. If you have questions throughout the day, stop by the Capitol Mezzanine for information.
9:00 AM-2:00 PM Meet with your legislators
- Be sure to schedule your meetings in advance! Let your legislators know that you want them to make kids a priority in 2020. Find out who your state Senator and Representative are and how to contact them.
10:00 AM Rally for Kentucky Kids
- Join hundreds of advocates from across the state to kick off Children’s Advocacy Day in the Capitol Rotunda! Featuring youth speakers, awards for legislators and community advocates who have gone the extra distance for kids, and remarks from elected leaders.
11:00 AM-12:00 PM Advocacy information stations in the Capitol Annex Room 125
- Get ready to meet with your legislators! Stop by the Advocacy Information Stations to learn more about Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children policy priorities and get tips for meeting with your legislator.
11:30 AM and 12:00 PM Legislative committee meetings
- Senate Judiciary meets at 11:30 in Annex Room 154. House Health & Family Services meets at 12:00 in Annex Room 169. Please note that these times and room locations are subject to change, and no meeting agendas for that day have been published yet.
2:00 PM Watch the House or Senate in session
- See your legislators in action! You must obtain gallery passes in the House or Senate Clerks’ offices (Rooms 313 and 323 on the third floor of the Capitol) to sit in one of the chamber galleries. Please note: Seating in the gallery is first-come, first-serve, and you should obtain a gallery pass as early as possible.
ALL DAY Visit the Children’s Advocacy Day social media station and view artwork by Kentucky kids
- Stop by the Capitol Mezzanine to snap a picture and share your support for Kentucky kids on social media. Post on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with the hashtags #CADKY2020 #blueprintky #kyga20.
- View art from Kentucky kids in the tunnel that connects the Capitol and Annex buildings. This year that art focuses on the importance of getting all Kentucky kids counted in the rapidly approaching 2020 census.
Thank you to our Children’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol social media sponsor, Step Stone Family & Youth Services. Thank you to our Children’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol youth social media station sponsor, AT&T. Thank you to our KIDS COUNT sponsors, Passport Health Plan and Kosair Charities. Thank you to our many Children’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol partner sponsors, including Centerstone, Children’s Alliance, Face It, Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky, Kentucky CASA Network, Kentucky Oral Health Coalition, Kentucky Primary Care Association, Kentucky’s Voice for Early Childhood, Kinship Families Coalition of Kentucky, Learning Grove, Metro United Way, Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence, Save the Children, United Healthcare, Volunteers of America Mid-States, and WellCare of Kentucky.