Last week Kentucky Youth Advocates hosted the Cheers for Children 2018 Celebration, presented by Kosair Charities®, to celebrate progress for kids during this year’s legislative session and to honor community advocates who helped make that progress happen. Thank you to all of the Kentucky Youth Advocates friends and supporters who joined in the celebration! View photos from the event below.
In the 2018 legislative session, four Kentucky Youth Advocates and Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children priority bills were passed by the General Assembly and signed into law by the Governor.
- House Bill 1 will keep Kentucky kids safe and improve how the commonwealth responds to child abuse and supports families.
- House Bill 527 will support the educational stability of children who’ve experienced abuse or neglect.
- Senate Bill 133 will improve the outcomes of pregnant inmates and their babies by allowing access to substance use treatment.
- Senate Bill 137 will allow judges to consider testimony from a trustworthy adult when a child has disclosed abuse to them.
The following community advocates were presented with the Courage for Kids award because of their advocacy and leadership on key issues in the 2018 legislative session and commitment to making Kentucky the best place in America to be young.
- Frank Harshaw, President and CEO of Harshaw Trane, is a courageous advocate committed to improving the outcomes of youth in foster care and those who have aged out of care.
- Norma Hatfield, a member of the Kinship Families Coalition of Kentucky and the kinship caregiver of her two granddaughters, is a courageous advocate who tirelessly speaks up for the thousands of grandparents and other relatives raising kin children across the commonwealth.
- Cynthia Schepers, a member of the First Lady’s Youth Leadership Council and True Up, is a youth advocate courageously sharing her experience within the foster care system to influence the outcomes of youth involved in the child welfare system.
Results like we had during this legislative session are only possible because of supporters like you. We are more than 70% of the way to our event fundraising goal, and you can help take us over the top in preparation for the 2019 session. Click here to invest in Kentucky Youth Advocates as the independent voice for Kentucky kids.
We thank our sponsors, Kosair Charities and the Porcini/Farmer Children’s Foundation, for making this event possible. We also thank our food and drink partners, including including Mayan Street Food, Mark’s Feed Store, Bud’s Tavern, Divinity Fine Catering, Adrienne and Co. Bakery, and Old 502 Winery.