Kids, young adults, and families across Kentucky are already feeling the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic—and will be for months to come. Those who have been involved in the child welfare system are facing many challenges, and as the state rebuilds and makes plans to support these kids and families navigating tough situations, it is important that our leaders understand their experiences.
Kentucky Youth Advocates, in partnership with Casey Family Programs, is hosting nine virtual community conversations to gather insight from kids, young adults, and families who interact with the child welfare system. We will be listening for issues around access to services, access to resources, education, communication with workers and DCBS, court timelines, physical and mental health, and any other ways individuals have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The feedback provided will be used to educate state leaders, including legislators, judges, and members of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. We will also incorporate this feedback into a virtual town hall for all advocates later this summer (additional details TBA).
If you identify with one of the groups below, please share your voice in an upcoming virtual community conversation:
- Youth (over age 18) currently or recently in foster care, including college students and those in independent living programs. RSVP to the community conversation on Thursday, May 21st from 12:00-1:00 PM EST OR Thursday, May 21st from 4:00-5:00 PM EST.
- Foster parents. RSVP to the community conversation on Wednesday, May 27th from 5:00-6:00 PM EST OR Thursday, May 28th from 10:00-11:00 AM EST.
- Kinship and fictive kin caregivers. RSVP to the community conversation on Tuesday, June 2nd from 10:00-11:00 AM EST OR Wednesday, June 3rd from 3:00-4:00 PM EST.
- Birth parents. RSVP to the community conversation on Tuesday, June 2nd from 3:00-4:00 PM EST or Thursday, June 4th from 10:00-11:00 AM EST.
- Employees of child welfare provider or partner agency. RSVP to the community conversation on Wednesday, June 3rd from 12:00-1:00 PM EST.
Everyone who attends the community conversations will be eligible to receive a $25 gift card (of your choosing from Wal-Mart, Amazon, Kroger, or Target). Your chances of winning are a minimum of 1 in 5 depending on the number of participants. Zoom meeting information will be sent to the email address entered in the form closer to the meeting dates.
For those unable attend an upcoming virtual conversation, please fill out an anonymous survey about your experiences within the child welfare system during the pandemic. Youth, birth parents, foster parents, and kinship and fictive kin caregivers are encouraged to fill out THIS survey. Employees of child welfare provider or partner agencies are encouraged to fill out THIS survey.
Thank you, in advance, for lending your voice to improve the futures of Kentucky kids and families.
I’m raising two granddaughters and one great granddaughter