(o) 502-895-8167 *122
LOUISVILLE, KY – This evening, Kentucky Youth Advocates will host the Cheers for Children 2018 Celebration, presented by Kosair Charities®, to celebrate progress for kids during this year’s legislative session and to honor community advocates who helped make that progress happen.
In the 2018 legislative session, four Kentucky Youth Advocates and Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children priority bills were passed by the General Assembly and signed into law by the Governor.
- House Bill 1 will keep Kentucky kids safe and improve how the commonwealth responds to child abuse and supports families.
- House Bill 527 will support the educational stability of children who’ve experienced abuse or neglect.
- Senate Bill 133 will improve the outcomes of pregnant inmates and their babies by allowing access to substance use treatment.
- Senate Bill 137 will allow judges to consider testimony from a trustworthy adult when a child has disclosed abuse to them.
The following community advocates will be presented with the Courage for Kids award because of their advocacy and leadership on key issues in the 2018 legislative session and commitment to making Kentucky the best place in America to be young.
- Frank Harshaw, President and CEO of Harshaw Trane, is a courageous advocate committed to improving the outcomes of youth in foster care and those who have aged out of care.
- Norma Hatfield, a member of the Kinship Families Coalition of Kentucky and the kinship caregiver of her two granddaughters, is a courageous advocate who tirelessly speaks up for the thousands of grandparents and other relatives raising kin children across the commonwealth.
- Cynthia Schepers, a member of the First Lady’s Youth Leadership Council and True Up, is a youth advocate courageously sharing her experience within the foster care system to influence the outcomes of youth involved in the child welfare system.
The casual cocktail event will feature live bluegrass music and food and wine tastings from local restaurants, including Mayan Street Food, Mark’s Feed Store, Bud’s Tavern, Divinity Fine Catering, Adrienne and Co. Bakery, and Old 502 Winery. There will be raffle baskets valued up to $1,200 each that include tickets to Churchill Downs, local restaurant gift certificates, $500 to Genesis Diamonds, a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle bourbon, and much more. There will also be a bourbon pull—with bottles valuing up to $120.
We thank our sponsors, Kosair Charities and the Porcini/Farmer Children’s Foundation, for making this event possible.
Cheers for Children 2018 Celebration
Thursday, April 19th
Noah’s Event Venue
12451 Plantside Drive in Louisville