The 2018 Kentucky legislative session is well underway, which means the annual Children’s Advocacy Day (CAD) at the Capitol is just around the corner. Review these tips and reminders for before, during, and after Children’s Advocacy Day on January 18th:
Before January 18th:
- If you haven’t already done so, register you and your group for CAD HERE.
- Watch the advocacy 101 and CAD prep webinar to be confident in attending CAD and advocating on behalf of children throughout the legislative session HERE.
- Schedule a meeting with your legislator for the day of CAD—between 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM—to discuss priorities on the Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children. Also, invite them to attend the Rally in the Capitol Rotunda at 10:00 AM.
- Learn more about the priorities on the Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children agenda and read fact sheets HERE.
- Review the status of filed Blueprint bills on the 2018 Kentucky General Assembly Bill Tracker HERE.
- Find out who represents you in Frankfort and what committees they serve on through the legislator look up tool HERE.
- Find tips for contacting and meeting with your legislators HERE.
- Follow Kentucky Youth Advocates on Facebook and Twitter, and search and use the hashtags #BlueprintKY and #kyga18 to join and follow conversations on children’s issues.
- Join the Kentucky Youth Advocates email list to receive news, updates, and action alerts HERE.
On January 18th:
- Arrive at the Capitol Rotunda on or before 9:30 AM and check in on the Capitol Mezzanine to receive your packet of information for the day.
- Bring a photo I.D., a charged phone for social media posts and pictures, and snacks.
- Attend the Rally in the Capitol Rotunda at 10:00 AM and participate in youth-led cheers.
- Stop by the Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children policy information stations in room 131 of the Legislative Annex between 11:00 AM and noon.
- Meet with your legislator and discuss priorities on the Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children.
- Fill out your Step Up for Kids slips and deliver to your legislators’ offices.
- Attend a committee meeting.
- Visit the resource table in the lower level of the Legislative Annex to ask questions and snap a photo at the social media station.
- View art work by Kentucky kids in the tunnel connecting the Legislative Annex and the Capitol Rotunda.
- Greet House and Senate members on the Capitol Mezzanine as they go into chambers.
- Share your experience of the day on social media using the hashtag #CADKY2018.
After January 18th:
- Write your legislators and thank them for meeting with you—handwritten notes are best! Find tips for writing legislators HERE.
- Check the 2018 Kentucky General Assembly Bill Tracker for the status of Blueprint bills and other bills that are good for kids throughout the session HERE.
- Follow your legislators and other advocacy organizations on social media. Find your legislators’ information through the legislator look up tool HERE.
- Share action alerts with your networks as Blueprint bills move.
The impact of CAD on legislators is the sheer number of advocates who attend and raise their voice for kids. There is real power in numbers. Remember: be bold. Be bold in cheering at the rally, be bold in connecting with other advocates, be bold in meeting with your legislator and asking them to step up for kids. Whether in a meeting with your legislator, at the rally, in the committee meetings, on the steps of chambers, or in the Capitol halls, raise your voice for kids. All Kentucky kids are counting on you!
Leave A Comment