The US Senate Agriculture Committee is poised to release its farm bill over the next several days and we need to make sure that their bill protects and strengthens critical hunger-relief programs. People all across Kentucky are struggling to put food on the table. With unemployment expected to remain above 8 percent this year and long-term unemployment still at record highs, programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Temporary Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) are more important than ever. Your Senators need to hear from you TODAY. We hope you can take a moment to call both of our senators and help us demonstrate how important hunger-relief programs are to your community.
Just dial 1-877-698-8228 to be connected directly to Senator Mitch McConnell and Senator Rand Paul. The system allows you to connect toll-free to both without hanging up the phone. Follow the following steps:
- Dial 1-877-698-8228. When prompted, enter your zip code and listen to the brief instructions. You’ll then be patched through to your first Senator’s office automatically.
- Tell them that you are a constituent and state the name of the town you are calling from.
- Let them know you are calling about the Farm Bill and deliver these two important messages:
- TEFAP Message: “Please support strengthening funding for TEFAP, which is a critical source of food for food banks and families throughout Kentucky.”
- SNAP Message: “I urge you to support SNAP and oppose any proposals that would change SNAP’s structure or reduce funding, restrict eligibility or reduce benefits.”
One call can help, and more of a difference can be made if you share our action alert with your agencies, volunteers, donors, advocates, partners, board members, and other local supporters. Post it on Facebook and Twitter. Help us show Congress that there is a constituency for ending hunger in America!
Please contact Katie Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-895-8167 x 128 if you have any questions or need help with messaging.