Children’s Advocacy Week may be over, but the 2021 Kentucky General Assembly is just heating up.
THANK YOU to all of the advocates who attended Children’s Advocacy Week events, including the many youth and state leaders from across Kentucky. There has been buzz among legislators about kids’ issues because of YOUR advocacy this week.
Here are FIVE action steps you can take immediately following Children’s Advocacy Week:
1. Watch–and share!–recordings of Children’s Advocacy Week. All events were recorded and available on this YouTube playlist.
2. If you attended Children’s Advocacy Week, please fill out this short (5 minute!) survey. Your feedback is vital, as this was the first Children’s Advocacy Week, and it may continue to be a weeklong event in the future. Everyone who completes the survey will be entered into a drawing for an e-gift card to a Kentucky business of their choice. Two winners will be chosen.
3. Contact your legislators. One tip that legislators reiterated throughout Children’s Advocacy Week is to build a relationship with your legislators. Reach out to them via email or phone to introduce yourself, say thank you, or ask them to support a bill that is important to you. Don’t know who your legislator is or how to contact them? Use the legislator lookup tool.
4. Learn more about Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children policy and budget priorities, and build support for these policies. Share information about the policies with your colleagues, family, and friends. Fact sheets for each priority are available on the Kentucky Youth Advocates website, along with slides shared during the Children’s Advocacy Week Policy and Advocacy Information sessions.
5. Stay informed about the 2021 General Assembly by attending an Advocate Virtual Forum at 10 AM EST on Wednesday, February 17th. The General Assembly will be at its halfway point, and we will discuss legislative updates and the status of bills that are good for kids. RSVP and submit questions.
Thank you for your advocacy on behalf of Kentucky kids! And thank you to all of the Children’s Advocacy Week sponsors for making this week possible!