The rally came after the state ended its fiscal year with a $70.6 million surplus and put some of the surplus into the rainy day fund. This occurred after the Governor implemented deep cuts to the Child Care Assistance Program and the Kinship Care Program.
Child advocates used this opportunity to let state legislators and the Governor know that “Budget cuts = Rainy days for kids” and it’s time to “Fund Kids First” in the next two year budget, including restored funding to the Child Care Assistance Program and the Kinship Care Program.
Couldn’t attend the Rally? You can still TAKE ACTION!
1. Contact state leaders. Let them know that “Budget cuts = Rainy days for Kids” and it’s time to “Fund Kids First.”
Contact Senate President Stivers at 502-564-3120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact House Speaker Stumbo at 502-564-3366 or email him here.
You can also print this form and mail it to President Stivers, Speaker Stumbo and your state legislators.
- Restore funding to the Child Care Assistance Program and Kinship Care Program.
- Build a state budget that gives every child the best opportunity to thrive in childhood and succeed as an adult.
2. Engage in a virtual Fund Kids First rally via Facebook and Twitter.
Change your Facebook photo to this photo. You should be able to save the photo to your computer and then upload as your cover photo.
Use the hastag #fundkidsfirst and tweet @kyyouth.
- @kyyouth: budgetcuts = rainy days for kids. It’s time for the Governor and state legislators to #fundkidsfirst.
- @kyyouth: Child care and kinship care cuts are hurting KY families. It’s time to #fundkidsfirst & build a state budget that supports kids.
- @kyyouth: Child care cuts are causing some parents to have to quit work. We need to keep parents working & #fundkidsfirst.
- @kyyouth: Kinship care keeps families together & helps kids recover faster from abuse/neglect. Stop cuts to kinship care & #fundkidsfirst.
- @kyyouth: State leaders need to build a budget that gives every child the opportunity to thrive in childhood. #fundkidsfirst