Why do people love fall so much? The changing leaves. Pumpkin flavored everything. Chilly air. And for me, time to pull out those scarves and boots. I’ve often wondered what the appeal of fall is and my best conclusion is that it brings a sense of change and hope.
For us at Kentucky Youth Advocates, fall is a season where we start to prepare for the Kentucky legislative session that begins in January. We release our Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children policy agenda, as we did last week, which are the policy changes we will ask elected officials to make in 2015. We hold Step Up for Kids events to engage and recruit new child advocates to speak out on behalf of Kentucky’s kids. And, we meet with legislators to talk with them about pressing issues facing children and solutions that can make things better for kids and families.
As we move into this season of change, we hope you will join us in preparing for the 2015 legislative session to help make Kentucky the best place in America to be young. There are many steps you can take:
- Learn about the Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children priorities and become a partner at www.blueprintky.org.
- Attend a Step Up For Kids event. More details will be coming soon at www.blueprintky.org.
- Save the date and plan to attend Children’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol in Frankfort on February 5, 2014.
- Join our list to receive weekly emails and action alerts on children’s issues.
- Visit www.kyyouth.org often to see how you can take action on behalf of children everyday.
As you carve those pumpkins, take a walk in the brisk air, and enjoy fall, make sure advocating for children is on your list of things to do as well. It takes a community of advocates to change the landscape for kids in Kentucky. Your voice matters and we ask you to join with us to make a positive difference for kids.